Mathilde Blouse

I bought this fabric from Black Sheep Wools a few months ago. It is from Dena Designs, Fox Playground Collection.

IMG_0217

My plan was to make a tunic based on one I bought and really like, however recently I decided I wanted to make myself a blouse. After searching the web I came across Mathilde by Tilly and the Buttons. I love Tilly’s work…if you haven’t come across her before she was on the Great British Sewing Bee a few years ago, I love her style.

So I bought the pattern, it is available as a digital download or a physical paper pattern…I am very much into digital stuff but felt a sewing pattern was better as a physical thing rather than me having to print it out and stick it together (although the advantage of a download would be reusability). It arrived super quick which was good as I was itching to get started.

IMG_0222

First thing was to read the pattern and see what I would need, I liked the fact that the pattern was on a good quality paper, not the thin tissue paper that rips so easy!! It took me a while to decide which size to cut out…I didn’t want to get it wrong!

Once I had cut out my pieces (with a little help from my furry friends) and placed them on my fabric I realised I was going to be a bit short, so I had to get an extra half metre, plus I needed interfacing.

IMG_0332

Once I actually started sewing I realised I needed help as some of the techniques used were new to me, the pattern uses French Seams which is new to me and was a little daunting, however after visiting Tilly’s website I found all the information I needed. I love this extra help and the fact the instructions have big pictures too…I am a big fan of photos and videos to show techniques.

I added an extra button hole as I felt they ended a little high up for my liking. I also used self-cover buttons and attempted to cover each button so it had a bird or fox on it 🙂 I think I did an OK job?

IMG_0493

I also added a fancy stitch to the cuffs, sewing machines are so fancy these days!!

IMG_0495

Here is the finished garment

Completed Mathilde Blouse

I have my eye on the Miette Skirt next…just need to find some fabric 🙂

Happy Sewing
Emma x

Cosy Chunky Cardigan

A while back I showed a peek of some yarns I was planning on knitting with…well one of them is well on its way to becoming a fully fledged garment. I am ashamed to say the other…well there is a good chance it will be abandoned. It is a lacy shawl and I have never really mastered Lace and I don’t think I have the patience to keep going.

The cardigan I am making is a Hayfield Chunky with Wool pattern (9699), however I decided to knit it in James C Brett Chunky with Merino as it is a much softer feeling yarn than the Hayfield Chunky and my aim is to make a snuggly cardie that I can wear on the cold winter nights which I am sure we will soon be experiencing.

PicMonkey CollageIt has been a pretty easy pattern to follow, although I did make a stupid error! The pattern is for a Waistcoat and Cardigan so the instructions say to follow Waistcoat until ** I then forgot to go back to the Cardigan instructions and ended up with a super, super long and wrong shaped front!! I pulled it back and it was still too long…third time lucky I got it right. Luckily this yarn was very easy to pull back and re-knit with. I also changed the pockets, rather than knitting the pocket front and sewing it on at the end I incorporated it into the fronts, this was a technique I learnt on the Professional Finishing Workshop I  did last month.

wipcardigan

I would definitely recommend the Chunky with Merino yarn for a cosy sweater/cardigan or even a blanket…but that’s another post!! It is lovely and soft, very easy to knit with and knits up quick.

Hopefully, I will be able to show off the completed Cardigan soon 🙂

Emma x

 

My Christmas Jumper!

Last year I desperately wanted to knit myself a Christmas Jumper, however I deliberated and deliberated and then it was too late!

So this year I decided I would start early and make myself a jumper ready for #xmasjumperday on the 13th December! Back in September I decided on my pattern and picked my yarn. I also attended a workshop about knitting with colour…it is a good job as I would have had no clue how to do the pattern.

After the workshop I was raring to go and set myself a target of the end of October to finish the front…well it is now November and I am almost done…with the front!

my christmas jumper

I have used a Wendy pattern, King Cole Glitz for the main jumper and white areas, Hayfield DK with wool and Sirdar Country Style Dk for the other colours. The King Cole Glitz has knitted up really well, it is very soft for an acrylic yarn.