My plan was to make a tunic based on one I bought and really like, however recently I decided I wanted to make myself a blouse. After searching the web I came across Mathilde by Tilly and the Buttons. I love Tilly’s work…if you haven’t come across her before she was on the Great British Sewing Bee a few years ago, I love her style.
So I bought the pattern, it is available as a digital download or a physical paper pattern…I am very much into digital stuff but felt a sewing pattern was better as a physical thing rather than me having to print it out and stick it together (although the advantage of a download would be reusability). It arrived super quick which was good as I was itching to get started.
First thing was to read the pattern and see what I would need, I liked the fact that the pattern was on a good quality paper, not the thin tissue paper that rips so easy!! It took me a while to decide which size to cut out…I didn’t want to get it wrong!
Once I had cut out my pieces (with a little help from my furry friends) and placed them on my fabric I realised I was going to be a bit short, so I had to get an extra half metre, plus I needed interfacing.
Once I actually started sewing I realised I needed help as some of the techniques used were new to me, the pattern uses French Seams which is new to me and was a little daunting, however after visiting Tilly’s website I found all the information I needed. I love this extra help and the fact the instructions have big pictures too…I am a big fan of photos and videos to show techniques.
I added an extra button hole as I felt they ended a little high up for my liking. I also used self-cover buttons and attempted to cover each button so it had a bird or fox on it 🙂 I think I did an OK job?
I also added a fancy stitch to the cuffs, sewing machines are so fancy these days!!
Here is the finished garment
I have my eye on the Miette Skirt next…just need to find some fabric 🙂
After watching the Great British Sewing Bee last year I decided I wanted to sew something!! My mum donated her old sewing machine to get going on, she had bought a new super duper machine! I picked an Amy Butler pattern ‘Anna Tunic‘. As it was my first garment I didn’t want to spend a fortune on fabric in case it didn’t go well, after speaking to several people I paid a visit to TP Textiles, they have lots and lots of fabric at reasonable prices. I picked a pretty red fabric with flowers on.
My first job was to cut out the pattern pieces and then the fabric…with a little help!
The pattern instructions were easy to follow and understand from my perspective as a beginner and I would definitely use an Amy Butler pattern again. I also used some YouTube videos to help with some of the techniques I was unfamiliar with.
The tunic is lined and I even managed to top stitch my yoke so that it would sit flat, I also decided to cover my own buttons so that they matched the rest of the garment.
It took me a few months to actually finish my tunic as I only did a bit at a time!! but I am very pleased with how it turned out.
I definitely want to continue sewing and I have some fabric to make a skirt next, which should be quite a quick job as there are only 3 pieces!!
Earlier this week I told you about how I was feeling inspired and started the 30 day shred, well I am up on day 6 but I have to confess I am actually only on day 4! I have had a couple of days where I have just not been able to fit it in, however rather than just give up I have got back into today, it is still difficult but I am hopeful that it will get easier…well level 1 anyway!!
I have had a busy weekend, on Saturday I was attending a Workshop at the Black Sheep Craft Barn, this also coincided with the opening of our fabulous Fabric Room. We were very lucky to have Stuart Hillard, the runner up of last year’s Great British Sewing Bee officially opening the room.
I then did the Basic Pattern Writing Workshop run by Sarah Hatton, Rowan Tutor and Knitwear Designer. It was a very intense day with lots of maths and no knitting!! However we did learn all the basics needed to put together a basic pattern and also adapting a pattern to suit your own requirements…it did leave me wanting to knit myself a garment just so I could put what I learned to use!
We have recently joined the National Trust, so on Sunday, although the weather wasn’t that great and there was a pretty good chance it would rain we had a ride to Quarry Bank in Styal. I need to start taking photographs for my College project so I was hoping to get some great shots in the gardens.
Then for dinner we went to the fabulous Chaophraya in Manchester…the food is Amazing, if you’re a fan of Thai I would definitely recommend this place, it is slightly pricey but it is worth every penny. To start we had Steamed Dumplings and Scallop & Black Pudding Salad, the black puddings are delicious and melt in your mouth. For Main we had Weeping Tiger & Rice Noodles (hubby) and Panang Beef Curry & Sticky Rice (me), I also asked if I could have it more on the mild side and they were very happy to accommodate my request 🙂 and finally for desert I had Poached Pear in White Wine & Sherry with Meringue and Ice Cream…yum yum yum